Supporting Small Business
Oxford Circle CCDA has been able to provide support to the more than 200 businesses in our commercial corridors through workshops, coaching, and events. One event we organize is our Flavor Festival, an annual week-long event celebrating the various cultures and cuisines in Oxford Circle. This event promotes local business and encourages economic development throughout the Oxford Circle community. As one of the participants, New Azaad was able to attract new customers and grow their business.
New Azaad was founded by Nirmala and Arjan Singh, who run the restaurant today. The Singh’s are from the Punjab region of India, and were living in New York, where Arjan worked in a food warehouse, when they decided to move to Philadelphia and open a restaurant in 2005.
Since then, the Singh’s have been serving their delicious food to the Oxford Circle community, even if it hasn’t always been easy. As Nirmala explained, the pressure around owning a small business can be stressful, especially over the holidays. However, their hard work has paid off so far. In 2013, New Azaad was named Best Indian Restaurant by Philadelphia Magazine, which Nirmala considers a highlight of her time as a small business owner so far.
Overall, The Singh’s love running their restaurant because there is always something to do and new people to meet. They particularly enjoy living and working in such a diverse neighborhood because they get to introduce Indian cuisine to people who have never tried it before and because of the opportunities with people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
We at OCCCDA are grateful for their contribution to the beautiful community of Northeast Philadelphia. We are also grateful for supporters like you who make these economic development opportunities possible.
OCCCDA’s past newsletters & annual reports:
- 2018 Annual Report
- Volume 11, Issue 3 – Nov. 2017
- Annual Report 2016 3-2-16
- Volume 9, Issue 4 (November 2015)
- Volume 9, Issue 3 (August 2015)
- Volume 9, Issue 2 (May 2015)
- 2014 Annual Report (February 2015)
- 2013 Annual Report (February 2014)
- 2012 Annual Report (February 2013)
- Volume 3, Issue 4 (December 2009)
- Volume 3, Issue 3 (July 2009)
- Volume 3, Issue 2 (April 2009)
- Volume 3, Issue 1 (January 2009)
- Volume 2, Issue 3 (July – September 2008)
- Volume 2, Issue 2 (April – June 2008)
- Volume 2, Issue 1 (January – March 2008)
- Volume 1, Issue 2 (September – December 2007)
- Volume 1, Issue 1 (June – August 2007)